Tuesday, September 9, 2008

there's just something about buses, and kids framed in the windows....shot this as the high school band was boarding to move on to another elementary school...they had their annual tour day, where they visit all 10 local public elementaries and do a brief concert, mostly to get the soon-to-be middle schoolers interested in taking up an instrument and eventually being able to join up in high school...which is pretty cool...it's at least heartening to see schools still investing in these programs, which are usually among the first "non-essentials" to be cut from curriculums....something about that girl at the bottom looking back cathces me....think I'm turning it into a still life...feel free to weigh in which quote works best here; personally I dig the second one, but I'm not sure if it's just too elusive...


"If you want to be happy, be."
--Leo Tolstoy

or

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
-- Maria Robinson


before the band thing, I was doing a portrait of the new road commissioner, and I had about a half hour to kill, so I stopped at the big outdoor flea market that runs every Thursday (and happened to be right on the way between the 2 assignments)....poked around and found this couple and their welsh terrier Maddie, on whom she kept a close hold as a shopper perused their wares with pup in tow. The couple have been coming to the flea market for a decade, and the wife and I had a great conversation about shoes!

No comments: