Wednesday, September 10, 2008

construction daze

yesterday, after being chief for the morning, i went out to an assignment about construction being done on an alleyway downtown...okay, it's construction, whatever, try to make it interesting....then today, reporter walks by, tosses a couple assignment sheets into the tray, and look, it's 2 MORE construction assignments. My co-worker (the REAL chief!) asked which I wanted, and I just said I'll do 'em both. Ya know, 3 construction/roadwork assignments in 2 days, it's kinda like the photo gods are throwing down the gauntlet, and I'm sayin "Oh yeah, almighty ones? Well, bring it!" I decided to make it a challenge, try to look at them as cool landscapes - Ansel Adams had his mountains, and I've got, umm, concrete - rocks is rocks, eh?...and honestly, there is a big part of me that finds things in the process of demolition or being "undone" pretty aesthetically pleasing - what girl doesn't love big piles of twisted metal? So, here is my little homage to the world of construction for the week!

it all started yesterday with the alley
......
this morning, it was off to the demolition site of what will be a "Super Walmart"

i liked the swirls and lines from the tractor tires



i don't know why, but for some reason, i keep thinking of "dueling banjos" when i look at this...these things also make me think of T-Rex...if i have dreams later tonight that i am being chased by a large flesh-eating dinosaur, i will know from whence that came!
......

after Walmart, it was off to the Seventh St. extension, which we have photographed many times before and not that long ago, but now, they finally plowed through to the final intersection, and we haven't shot it from THAT side...so, here ya go - couldn't ask for a better day to bust out the wide angle - big, puffy clouds filling the sky - and the 17mm being a true 17 on the D3!


so, if another one of these comes in tomorrow, let me just say in advance - "not it!"

1 comment:

Amanda LaRae Larkin said...

You're hilarious Kim! AND you've inspired me to fine more lemonade in my own pile of lemons. I can picture a group of cheerleaders standing on the construction sidelines cheering you on as you fight against the horrors of monotony! :) (must be football season again) Thanks for posting this one!