Wednesday, March 26, 2008

fun find

after spending the morning as desk jockey, i found by lunchtime i could stand sitting no longer! i decided to go cruise around and see if i could find a feature for our new weekly community foto page...headed toward my favorite part of town and thought i'd see if anyone was out by the community center - as i turn the corner i see this SWAT team armored vehicle and a city police car parked out front - i figured the place wasn't under attack, obviously, but thought it was worth checking out... a city policeman and sheriff's detective were giving a talk to kids about their work, so, even though that didn't sound terribly visual, i went down anyway to see what they were doing....after their talk, the officers took the kids outside to check out the cars - i was really hoping the sheriff would let them in the back of the SWAT truck, because i knew they'd peer out of the side hole and it could be really cool....but alas, they could only get in the front seat...oh well, it was still fun
such was my day, and now it is done!

soon after i got into the room, this girl was getting i guess a bit distracted and started playing with her ruler and pencils while the officers talked

just liked this moment and the light and color

this little girl was hysterical - she was having so much fun checking out the vehicles and laying down the law to john q. public at large!

while they were checking out the cruiser, one of the kids decided to retune the radio, dancing in the passenger seat as a hip-hop song blared out from the car...needless to say, the officer didn't let that go on too long - it was pretty funny, though!

2 comments:

Tim Hussin said...

great moments. tell me more about this photo page...i'm intrigued.

Tim Hussin said...

Thanks for the comment. They bought 2 Canon HD cameras. Kind of bulky, but the quality is pretty good as long as there is decent light. I'm still not sure how I feel about video. I think it can have it's place, but for me I don't think it will take over photography in my mind. Part of my hesitation is maybe because I'm much better at photography than video. And I think there's something special in a photo that video can't mimic. I'm all up for trying it out more though. I've seen some really nice stories with audio/photos/video.

The photo page seems awesome. It's definitely what you guys need...what every paper needs actually. But at a nice community paper like Monroe, that seems perfect.

I just wish I could take a part in it. At least my friend, Jeremiah, a summer intern, will.